Scott Hassett was a shareholder and partner at Lawton & Cates, S.C. for 22 years before being appointed to the cabinet of Governor Jim Doyle as Secretary of the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR). The Wisconsin DNR administered environmental protection and enforcement programs as well as traditional natural resource programs such as hunting, fishing, parks and forestry.
After five years as DNR Secretary, Hassett returned to Lawton & Cates. For 25 years Hassett has practiced in general litigation, including criminal defense and civil plaintiff cases. The civil practice included asbestos cases and other product liability matters, personal injury and employment cases.
Hassett has participated in approximately 25 jury trials and 150 administrative hearings or bench trials, in both state and federal courts.
- Wisconsin, 1980
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Wisconsin Association for Justice
- Dane County Bar Association
- Former managing editor, Jefferson Banner
- Member, Ducks Unlimited
- Member, Oak Ridge Rifle Club
- Member, Gathering Waters Conservancy
- Member, River Alliance of Wisconsin
- Member, Muskies, Inc. International
- Member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
- Rutgers University School of Law - Camden, Doctor of Law J.D.,